Friday, July 19, 2013

Fwd: Amanda's first letter! :)

The FIRST letter from the MTC!

Dear Family,
July 10, 2013  (the day she entered the MTC)

This place is great, but crazy. There is so much to remember and no spare time. I'm surviving by taking things as they come, at that moment.

My P-days are going to be Thursdays here in the MTC. So, I have just one left. I'm so glad we (Mom and I) went to the temple this morning because the Provo temple is closed right now.

My companion is Sister McMaster, she's 21 and super sweet. Name tags are cool, and for sisters you get a safety pin tag and a super magnet tag! Oh, and go ahead and post this on the blog please. I can't write letters again until my P-day. So, next Thursday. Yay for obedience! :) Really though. It's nice to not have a cell phone. I saw Russell DeJesus here! (friend from school)  And I recognize tons of people from BYU. There are 10 sisters her going to Omaha! We have 4 in our district and a group of elders going to Alaska. We are Neblaska! 

Teaching happens hours after you come; an investigator comes into a room of 50ish missionaries and you take turns trying to discuss. The big lesson there was: "They don't care what you know until they know that you care." and "Teach people, not lessons."  They don't want to be fixed, they want to be cared for.

I forgot my contact cases! Just kidding!

July 11
Time is funny here, because you're doing something every second. Tonight my companion was assigned to be the Sister Trainer Leader, which means she's crazy busy. (I am the senior companion.)

I had an amazing sandwich wrap today. I can't stop thinking about it!

We were introduced to our "investigator" today. Our teachers adopt a persona of one of their non-member friends on a specific case study and we teach them our whole time here. We have Corey, a 21 year old philosophy major whose little brother just got baptized. He doesn't have much religious background but has had LDS friends his whole life. 

Planning is totally not what I expected. Revolutionary. I'll send you a picture of the whiteboard. We know their life experiences and look at how their experiences influence their future relationship with God. It's confusing to explain, but makes so much sense.

Today I memorized Our Purpose, The First Vision, and D&C 4. I can't usually memorize so quickly, but the Spirit brings it out of my mouth.

I was with my comp at her leadership meeting tonight and Branch President Wenn told us that one of the 12 Apostles told him that all those at that weekly meeting were foreordained to be there. Including leadership's companions. And that we had committed to serve God and serve our entire lives. 

My body doesn't like being up for so long, but inside I just want to study!  This is all so fun!  I love my teeny district. I love my companion. I love my future investigators.

I hope you guys are okay. I think about you, and just know that I'm alright!
I have to sleep, sorry! Have a good weekend! I'm not supposed to write any more letters until Thursday when I'll email as well. Sorry if I haven't answered your questions, it's complicated but I can't get any of my mail until after I send this.

I love you all!  Be happy!  Pray lots.

"Therefore if ye have desires to serve God, you are called to the work...
And faith, hope charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work."

Go read the missionary purpose . Memorize it!  It's your own purpose too!
Love,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment